Thursday 12 September 2013

The Biospheric Project










I finally managed to find the time to go for a tour of the Biospheric Project in Salford on Sunday. I had read a lot about urban agriculture and had seen many videos on Vimeo, I was really fascinated and inspired by what I saw. So much so that I started to research lots of different food systems that are used in urban agriculture, as well as disused buildings/land in Manchester city centre and different types of funding. Whilst researching I stumbled upon the Biospheric Project, that would be part of this years Manchester International Festival. I was very pleased to see that somebody was already working on this in Manchester. In many respects this city is still stuck in the industrial era, but there has been a huge progression in the food industry over the past year. Simon Rogan has taken over the The French in the Midland hotel and is due to open Mr Cooper's House and Garden today, which is also in the Midland. Simon is also growing a few herbs and leaf crops on the roof of the hotel as well as owning his own farm in the Lake District which supplies his restaurants. Manchester Veg People have started to supply many of the city centre's cafés and restaurants with locally grown organic fruit and veg. People are really starting to care about where their food has come from, if it's been treated with chemicals and how much it costs. This is what I feel makes something like the Biospheric Project so relevant and important. I won't go into the background of the project or the different food systems they have set up because I could easily fill two pages. Have a look at their website to find out more, I'd recommend booking a tour and visiting their shop 78 Steps. It's great to see something that you only tend to see happening in major world cities being done in Manchester, I hope that this city will continue to develop and innovate. I will make another trip to take more photos, just as I got my camera out the sun disappeared so the light wasn't the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment